Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Garlic and Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts



When I was living with my sister she taught me quite a few things.
One of the greatest things she taught me was that Brussel Sprouts are delicious!

I had only had them one time prior to this experience. It was when a relative was experimenting with them. She tried grilling them whole. They were horrible. They were so bitter. Nobody could eat them. And this was a family of vegetable-lovers.
I can usually force myself to gag down healthy food that doesn't taste good because I know the nutrients are worth it. Not this time. I nearly cried trying to be polite.

That's why when my sister put me in charge of making the brussel sprouts for dinner one night I went white as a ghost.
But I come from a family of food geniuses. The gene just skipped me. My brother was a chef for one of the most high-end restaurants in the state. And my sister is opening her own donut shop. I, on the other hand, caught the stove on fire while boiling water. Seriously! Somehow I managed a spontaneous combustion with an electric stove. Ya, I even ruin hot chocolate 50% of the time.
Luckily, my sister knew what she was doing and told me exactly how to make them.

They were insanely delicious!

When I came back and made them for my husband he was just as hesitant to try them. He said they looked burnt. But I'll let you in on a little secret...
The crispy blackened ones are the best!
And after he tried them he fell in love. We crave them all of the time now. He begs me to buy them every time we go grocery shopping together. We eat an entire Costco-sized bag in one sitting just between the two of us!

And they are so easy to make!

Garlic & Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts


The Minced Garlic is not pictured. oops!

Ingredients
1 lb brussel sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Grated Parmesan Romano Cheese
Kernel Season's Garlic Parmesan Seasoning

Method

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off bottoms of brussel sprouts. Slice them in half.
Combine oil, salt, pepper, and garlic in a bowl. Add brussel sprouts and mix until thoroughly covered.



Spread on a baking sheet lined with baking mats, parchment paper, or aluminum foil. Try to keep them from touching or overlapping. 


We make a Really Really big batch...

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Jostle them around on the pan once or twice while roasting so that they cook evenly.Take them out when they are crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.




Sprinkle with Parmesan Romano Cheese and Garlic Parmesan Seasoning. Serve warm. 



Here is the Printable Version


Brussel sprouts are a great source of vitamin K and vitamin C. They also contain manganese, folate, choline, vitamin B6, copper, vitamin B1, phosphorous, potassium, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber!

So eat up & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment